Wednesday, July 8, 2009

You, Jerry, Are the Doofus.

Everyone has fashion hurdles to clear in their everyday life. Today, I glanced at my hurdles for a moment, then shrugged and took the 1 train instead. I completely ignored the button-down policy at my place of work and tucked a long-sleeved Pablo Picasso navy-and-cream-striped shirt into my high-waisted* navy ACNE shorts (whose legs I folded up subtly at the bottom to flatter my gams).


The Picasso shirt is from J. Peterman, that clothier whose verbose catalogues were lovingly skewered on "Seinfeld," where Elaine was a director at the company and introduced us to her Urban Sombrero. It's nice to wear items whose origins you can self-effacingly use as conversation starters. I have cute little anecdotes for most of my favorite pieces. For these shorts, for instance, all I have to do is mention the name of the designer. ACNE! Sick! (It is in fact an equally stupid acronym: Ambition to Create Novel Expressions. Bitch, please.)


I almost made a terrible mistake today. However, I fixed it up quick before I left the house. Here's the accidental fashion trauma waiting to happen:



And here I am after I performed some quick sartorial rhinoplasty:


Can you identify the surgical procedure I performed?  More importantly, do you know why I felt it absolutely necessary?


Hand in your answers at the end of class.


You know you love me (I hate Gossip Girl but it felt dramatically appropriate),


Max


*Now that you bring it up, I'm not altogether sure if the shorts are actually high-waisted or if I in fact just hoist them up so high that they appear so. In any case, my father thinks the look is really unattractive and the name of the blog still applies.

No comments:

Post a Comment